PRESCRIBING IN ENGLAND?
Across England, Fetcroja® is available under an innovative payment model based on the value of cefiderocol to NHS England, rather than the volume prescribed.3
Within this innovative model, NICE has issued guidance to help protect appropriate use and antimicrobial stewardship.3
Adherence to NICE guidance helps ensure straightforward Blueteq submission.
CLINICAL TRIAL ANIMATIONS NOW AVAILABLE TO VIEW
Discover the key data for Fetcroja® across several clinical studies, with animations outlining the two Phase III studies, APEKS-NP and CREDIBLE-CR.4,5
HOW FETCROJA® WORKS
Fetcroja® has a novel mode of cell entry (MoCE) that facilitates its mechanism of action (MOA). Fetcroja® contains cefiderocol, which functions as a siderophore.1,2 After binding to extracellular iron, cefiderocol is able to exploit the bacteria’s active iron transport systems and pass through the outer membrane into the periplasmic space, potentially overcoming any resistance that would otherwise be achieved through porin channel modification.1,2
In vitro testing of Fetcroja® against over 30,000 clinical isolates of aerobic Gram-negative bacteria in multi-national surveillance studies have shown high rates of susceptibility, even against isolates with extensive drug resistance, resistance to carbapenems and other last-line antibiotics.6–8
Information to support you in determining whether a patient's infection could be effectively treated with Fetcroja®.
New to this page is our antimicrobial susceptibility testing (AST) infographic resource which highlights the standard assays and commercially available materials required when carrying out AST for Fetcroja®.
- Fetcroja® (cefiderocol) Summary of Product Characteristics.
- Zhanel GG, et al. Cefiderocol: a siderophore cephalosporin with activity against carbapenem-resistant and multidrug-resistant Gram-negative bacilli. Drugs. 2019;79:271–289.
- NICE. Cefiderocol for treating severe drug-resistant gram-negative bacterial infections, August 2022. Available at: https://www.nice.org.uk/about/what-we-do/life-sciences/scientific-advice/models-for-the-evaluation-and-purchase-of-antimicrobials/cefiderocol. Accessed January 2023.
- Wunderink RG, et al. Cefiderocol versus high-dose, extended-infusion meropenem for the treatment of Gram-negative nosocomial pneumonia (APEKS-NP): a randomised, double-blind, phase 3, non-inferiority trial. Lancet Infect Dis. 2021;21:213–225.
- Bassetti M, et al. Efficacy and safety of cefiderocol or best available therapy for the treatment of serious infections caused by carbapenem-resistant Gram-negative bacteria (CREDIBLE-CR): a randomised, open-label, multicentre, pathogen-focused, descriptive, phase 3 trial. Lancet Infect Dis. 2021;21:226–240.
- Fetcroja® (cefiderocol) CHMP opinion. Available at: https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/medicines/human/EPAR/fetcroja#assessment-history-section. Accessed January 2023.
- Hackel MA, et al. In vitro activity of the siderophore cephalosporin, cefiderocol, against a recent collection of clinically relevant Gram-negative bacilli from North America and Europe, including carbapenem-nonsusceptible isolates (SIDERO-WT-2014 Study). Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2017;61:e00093-17.
- Thalhammer F. Behandlung multiresistenter Enterobakterien. JATROS Infektiologie & Gastroenterologie-Hepatologie. 01/2018,10-12.